Checklist before traveling


Music by Cashmere Factory; "Feelgood"

Almost ready for our trip, or as ready as you can be I guess - not really knowing how the next six weeks will be like, we have made a checklist with the most important things to remember when planning a journey. Please comment if you have some more points to add!


- Do I need a visa?
Check out whether or not you need to apply for a visa to the country / countries you are visiting. In Japan and South Korea we will get a tourist visa at the airport. Vietnam and Thailand too. But to Cambodia we have applied for Visa.


- When is my passport's expiry date?
Some of the countries we are going to, require that your passport does not expire for six months to get a visa.


- Which vaccines do I need?
There are some vaccines you need to have, and some you can choose.. I prefer to be fully protected, but of course it's up to you. Visit a good travel clinic where you can get good advices and proper guidance. I always go to Hanne at Larvik reiseklinikk - she takes good care of you and gives great advice. And she is just a lovely person.


-  Suitcase or backpack?
How much do you need to pack? Always take less than you think you need - or at least that's what I'm thinking now when we are carrying everything around in our backpacks.


- Travel insurance!
Make sure you are covered if anything happens.


- Learn important phrases of languages
I'm not saying that you have to study the language to all the countries you are visiting, always. But I think it's nice to at least try to learn some phrases to show respect to the country you are going to, and to make an effort to communicate with people.


- Visit the library for travel books
I love the library, it always feels like home. And instead of buying expensive travel guides, you can have them for free. It's always good to read more than one book about your destination, if you have the time.


- Make a budget
Think through how much you want to spend on your journey, and know that you can save a lot of money if you book flights early, and also spend some time planning and checking out the different possibilities for living and traveling within the countries.


- Book what you have to, but plan to be spontaneous
Every person and traveller is different, but being a bit of a control freak at times - I like to have some essential parts booked and planned, know about different ways to get around, and still have an open plan and not a rushed timetable in case I crash into something, or somewhere and I feel like I need more time.


- ENJOY
Relax and enjoy the joy of planning a trip.





Comments

  1. Gonna follow your next posts about Japan )
    Hilsen fra Leipzig
    Leyla

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts